My dear husband says it still looks nice but I suspect he's just being a super-nice husband Or maybe he just does not have my refined sense of quilt style, ha!
Here's a partial list of the problems with this quilt:
1. Using minky fabric in piecing. I hadn't used minky much before this project, and it was so hard to cut and piece accurately. Plus, I forgot that I wouldn't be able to iron the seams flat. Inside this quilt is a mess of disordered seams, yike!
2. Not using fabrics I loved. Some of the fabric was super-cheap clearance, and others were ones I had in my stash, and then there's the minky...looking back, I think, why, why, why??
3. Making my own pattern. Now, this isn't always a mistake. I love making up my own patterns, and usually it works. But, when trying new things, you win some, you lose some. On top of the other problems with this quilt, this pattern wasn't a keeper.
4. Not listening to myself. After I put together a few blocks, I was really iffy about this quilt coming together. I should have cut my losses and started a project I loved.
5. Letting it sit in the closet for three years. After finishing the top, I thought it was the ugliest quilt I'd ever made. Rather than just donating it and forgetting all about it, I put it in my closet. Then, every time I searched through my stash I let it gnaw at me how ugly it was and how I should really finish this project. (I hate stacks of unfinished quilts hanging around).
6. Not basting. I've been practicing my hand-quilting skills because I want to hand-quilt two quilts I'm making with my great grandma's quilt blocks. Digging through the closet one day, I ran into this quilt (again) and thought it would be a great practice quilt. I wanted to get straight to quilting, so of course I didn't have time to baste properly. But, now I've had so many problems with the backing bunching up while I'm trying to quilt. Note to self: don't skip vital steps!
7. Hand-quilting minky fabric. That dratted minky, coming back to bite me again! Apparently it's awful trying to hand-quilt through minky, I don't recommend it.
Linked up at some of the great blogs on my sidebar!