Monday, September 24, 2012

How to Make Homemade Breadcrumbs

I discovered that I could make homemade bread crumbs a couple years ago, and I've never looked back.  They're so easy, and cheap, and taste so much better than the crumbled cardboard that you buy in the store.  Yummy!

For about 3/4 cup crumbs, all you need is two slices of bread.

Yep, that's it.  I usually keep bread heels, ends, stale homemade bread, etc. in a ziploc or bread bag in the freezer, then I just pull out what I need.


Toast bread for 1-2 cycles.

You want it golden and dry, but not burnt.

Cut into fine crumbs
 And, now you have homemade bread crumbs!
Substitution note: usually recipes call for store-bought breadcrumbs, so if you substitute homemade you may need to experiment a little with the amount you use.  You may need a different quantity to get the same taste or texture.

-Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation--your comments make me happy!