Friday, September 28, 2012

Fabric Chain for Kids--Pattern and Tutorial

After making my fabric chain decoration last week, I got to thinking how fun it would be for my two-year old to make one.  So, I made this fabric chain with velcro closures that he could play with.

It's a hit!  He loved playing with the velcro, and he loved finding all the different ways to attach the circles together.

Here we go--you're only three steps away from having this fun toy!

What you need:
  • Fabric scraps, cut to 4 x 10"
  • Fusible fleece, cut to 1.5 x 9" strips.
  • Velcro, cut to 1" pieces.
  • Thread to match
Let's get sewing:

1.  Fuse the fleece strips to the wrong side of your fabric rectangles,  1/2" from one long edge, with 1/2" on either side.


    2.  Press in 1/2" on all four sides.  Then fold in half and pin.
Press in 1/2"
Pinned and ready to sew closed
3.  Topstitch around all four sides of your rectangle, about 1/8" away from the edges. Then sew on your velcro--one piece on the front and one on the back.  This is important, otherwise you can't connect the links in your chain without twisting them.
Topstitch around all four sides

Sew velcro--one to the front and one to the back.
That's it!  Keep repeating the steps and to your chain as you want (or in my case, I stopped with 9 links when I ran out of velcro.  It seems like a good amount).

Time to go play with my kids! 
-Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation--your comments make me happy!