Friday, September 14, 2012

Drawstring Bag for a Mason Jar -- Pattern and Tutorial

I made this set of gift bags for my mother-in-law who loves to drink kefir everyday.  (If you don't know what that is, it's like really strong yogurt.  Here's one recipe to make it.  I haven't decided if I like it or not.)  She makes the kefir in a mason jar, and it has to be kept in the dark.  Until now, she's been wasting rolls of aluminum foil, wrapping it all around the jar.  But for her birthday, she'll get these super-cute drawstring bags to use instead!

I think they'd also be perfect for gift-giving.  If you're making homemade salsas or mixes in mason jars, a handmade gift bag would be perfect!

**I posted a better, updated tutorial of these drawstring bags**


What you need:
  • 11 x 15 inch rectangle of two fabrics, A and B
  • 6 inch square scraps of two fabrics
  • 24 inch piece of 1/2 inch ribbon
  • Thread--I used white quilting thread, but Coats and Clark All-Purpose would work too.

What you do:

Note:  use a 1/2" seam allowance.
 
1.  Make a circle pattern for your bag bottom.  It needs to be 5 inches in diameter--you can use a compass, or just trace a lid or bowl with that measurement.  I used muslin for my pattern piece so that I didn't have to draw on my fabric.  Pin to both 6 in. pieces and cut out.



2.  In the photos, I'll be sewing a blue bag (Fabric A) with a white lining (Fabric B).  First, fold your Fabric A in half, right sides together so you have an 11 x 7.5 in. rectangle.

Pin the long side at 2 inches and 1/2 inches from the ends as shown in the photo.  I use color-coordinated pins.  I start at white and end at red.  Now, sew between the pins, backstitching at the start and end. 



3. Fold your lining (Fabric B) in half to form an 11 x 7.5" rectangle.  Refer to the picture--starting at one short end, place pins at 2", 4", 8", and 10 1/2". 

(I know, I cut my rectangles too small, so the last pin in the pic is at 10")


Pins placed to sew two short sections in the side seam.



4.  Leave 2" open at the top, then sew between the first two pins.  Leave 4" open, then sew about 2" closed.  Stop 1/2" from the end. 
After sewing the lining, you should have 2" open at the top, 4" open in the center, and 1/2" open at the bottom.

5.   Pin the bottom piece to Fabric B, right sides together, to the end with the 1/2" opening.   


6.  Sew around the circle.  Don't worry if your seam allowance isn't exactly 1/2", because mine wasn't.


7.  Now clip your seam allowance every 1/2", about 1/4" slits.  Make sure not to clip the stitches!



8.  Repeat steps 5-7 to attach bottom to Fabric A.

9.  Turn Fabric A right-side out, then slip it inside your Fabric B. 



10.  The two fabrics should be right sides together.  Line up the top edges and the side seams.  Pin the top edges together--notice my red pin!  Sew around the top edge; start and stop 1/2" from the V-shaped slit.



11.  Turn out through the 4" opening in Fabric B.  Your bag should look like this:




12.  Tuck in the edges 1/2" and pin the 4" opening in Fabric B.  Topstitch 1/8" from the edge to close the opening..



13.  Now, tuck your Fabric B lining into Fabric A.  Ta-da, now it's starting to look like a cute bag.  You're almost done, we just have to make the casing for the drawstring.

First, tuck in the edges of the V-slit 1/2" and pin.


14.  Topstitch the V-slit 1/8" away from edges.






15.  Fold down the top of the bag 3/4" to form the drawstring casing. 



16.  Remove the tray on your sewing machine and slide the bag over the end so you can easily sew the casing.  Topstitch 1/8" from the edge to form a 3/4" casing for the drawstring. 

17.  Use a safety pin to thread the ribbon through the casing.  Make sure it isn't twisted, then knot the ends together.  Snip the ribbon ends at a diagonal.  Finished!


-Lily

1 comment:

  1. Very cute idea. Plus recipient can use the bag for other gifts and the bag gets passed on and on and saves paper and space in landfills. I have hamd cloth gift bags for years. I never made one for a jar before. I give to people I know will use them for the purpose intended. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation--your comments make me happy!