Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Homemade Greek Yogurt

I love greek yogurt--so creamy, delicious...and expensive.  Too expensive for me to buy regularly.  But, I recently discovered that you can make greek yogurt at home.  Apparently, greek yogurt is simply regular yogurt that has had the whey (liquid) strained out.  Who knew?

What you need:
Place the cloth in the colander and set over the bowl.  I didn't like buying cheesecloth all the time, so I bought a set of very thin white kitchen towels.  I just run it through the washer when I'm done and it works great.  If you're using cheesecloth, I'd double it up.

 Pour in the yogurt.  Wait about 2-4 hours, depending on how thick you want your yogurt.

 Discard the liquid whey in the bowl. (I've read that you can use whey rather than water when making bread.  I need to try that in my homemade honey wheat bread!)  

Scoop out the yogurt from the cloth, and enjoy your homemade greek yogurt!
-Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation--your comments make me happy!